You probably forgot, likely because you don’t care, but last spring mega-producer Jerry Bruckheimer confirmed that a “National Treasure 3” was in the works and then we didn’t really hear anything since. But it appears that work is now underway.
In an interview with Done Deal Pro (via Bleeding Cool) screenwriters Brian Koppelman and David Levien (“Rounders,” “Ocean’s Thirteen,” “The Girlfriend Experience” ) have revealed they are taking their pens to the sequel and are priming their next film to helm saying, “We just finished the screenplay for our next film to direct, an adaptation of David’s book ‘City Of The Sun,’ and are now working on ‘National Treasure 3′ for Bruckheimer.”
It’s not a real surprise that another “National Treasure” is in the works; the films print money. The first entry did $347 million worldwide, while the sequel took in $457 million. Not bad at all. And while we don’t particularly care for the franchise, Koppelman and Levien are some hugely talented folks and we’d wager whatever they’re cooking up will make it worth watching (if it isn’t put through the committee wringer at the studio). No word yet on who will direct — Jon Turteltaub just signed on for the the romcom “Unreasonable Doubt” — but he and Nicolas Cage have now done three films together (the “National Treasure” pics as well as “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice“) and we would guess he’ll be roped in for a third installment as well.
As for “City Of The Sun” it’s based off Levien’s book and it’s a project they been looking to make as their follow-up to “Solitary Man” for some time now. When we spoke to the writers last year they told us at the time that work was still moving on the project, so we’re glad to see they’ve put a period on it and we presume they’ll start the process of finding a home for the film. The story revolves around parents who hire an ex-cop with checkered past to find their kidnapped son, and end up coming against a depraved real estate tycoon which has hands in all kinds of illegal business. Sounds like some pretty solid material and nice gear change for the duo, so we hope it comes together soon.
For now, if you missed “Solitary Man” do yourself a favor and go rent it. It’s easily one of the most slept on films of last year.
- Brian Koppelman & David Levien Writing ‘National Treasure 3′; Finish Script For ‘City Of The Sun’ (rockybalboahollywoodnews.wordpress.com)
- Solitary Man (mrmovietimes.com)
- Written Interview: Davie Koepp, Brian Koppelman, Jeff Nathanson, Andrew Walker (gointothestory.blcklst.com)
- James Franco to Join THE GAME–A Movie About Picking Up Women (geektyrant.com)
- Pirates, Princes, and a Top Gun Celebrate Jerry Bruckheimer (popsugar.com)
- The Lone Ranger Production Finally Starts! Yee-Hah! (thepeoplesmovies.com)
- James Franco, Pick-Up Artist? (newsfeed.time.com)
- THE LONE RANGER Officially Goes into Production (geektyrant.com)
- Movie Review: The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (***) (chicagonow.com)
- Movie Review: The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (writer.fitzhome.com)